This two day course runs from 9.30am until 4.30pm on both days, every 6 months.
Please see Eventbrite for dates
Target Audience: Front line staff and volunteers
The aims of the course
The course is appropriate for practitioners who are in the role of conducting one-to-one therapeutic discussions with people using our services. The focus is on making and sustaining healthy behaviour changes. As an introductory course, participants will begin to develop knowledge and skills in motivational interviewing and seek to support practitioners to work towards improving service user outcomes.
The objectives of the course
On completion of the course, participants will have:
- Defined the nature of ambivalence about change
- Applied the spirit of motivational interviewing, integrating the Integrating an established counselling skills methodology (*OARS) to engage a person in personal conversation
- Analysed how motivational interviewing can influence change by intentionally evoking and strengthening natural language (change talk)
- Identified how motivational interviewing may be used within practice setting.
* O.A.R.S. reflects the following elements - Open-ended Questions; Affirmations; Reflective listening; Summaries. Source Miller & Rollnick, 1993
Sue Hudson Craufurd (MSc. Addictions, CBT cert.) is a member of the international Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) and has trained hundreds of practitioners who are interested in applying Motivational Interviewing in a variety of settings. Sue has many years experience working in the field of mental health and homelessness.
All donations welcome! Please help us to make a positive impact on mental health and wellbeing in Scotland.
Click here to donate £5, £10 or £50 quickly and easily with our JustGiving donate box!
We're on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn! We will sometimes signpost there but if you need help or comprehensive information, contact the Information Resource Centre and they will be able to support you.
Bag pack, run, leap or bake - do whatever you want to support us in our work! Find out more here.
Service Evaluation 2014/15!
Find out what our service users say about us - click here to download our 2014/15 service evaluation.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Thursday 9 March
Thursday 16 March
Two-day course Wednesdays 22 & 29 March