Research carried out by the New Economics Foundation found that there are five ways to wellbeing.
They are: Connect; Be active; Take notice; Keep learning and Give
How to get your 5 a day
We have given some ideas and suggestions about how you can introduce the five ways to wellbeing into your every day routine. What ideas can you come up with that you can add to your list?
Connect: Connecting with the people around us is a great way to remind ourselves that we’re important and valued by others.
Here are some suggestions for staying connected:
- Arrange to meet people regularly. Monthly dinner dates with friends or join a local interest group.
- Reach out to somebody you’ve lost contact with. Send them a letter or give them a call to let them know you are thinking about them.
- Take some time to get to know your neighbours. Invite them around for a cup of tea
Be active: We know that there’s a link between staying active and positive mental health and wellbeing.
By making sure we are regularly moving our bodies, we can look after our mental and physical health at the same time.
Here are some ways to be active:
- Go for a walk during your lunch break or walk to work
- Try activities that bring your focus to the mind-body connection such as yoga or tai chi
- Make time for joyful movement, such as dancing
- Join a local sports club – is there a sport you have always wanted to try?
Take Notice: Taking notice of our thoughts, emotions and surroundings is a great way to stay present and pay attention to our needs
Here’s some suggestions around taking notice:
- Take up a mindful hobby like knitting or journaling
- Write down three things in your life you feel grateful for
- Allocate time in the evening to reﬂect on what went well that day
Keep learning: Learning new things is a good way to meet new people and boost our self conﬁdence, which in turn improves our mental health and wellbeing.
Here are some ideas to keep learning:
- Try out a new recipe once in a while
- Book yourself onto a wellbeing course or training session (see our training courses here)
- Join a class to learn a new language or musical instrument
- Learn something new about the people around you
Give: Research has found a link between doing good things and an increase in wellbeing.
Here are some suggestions to give more
- Try and do one kind thing every day
- Recycle your waste and give back to the environment
- Become a Health in Mind Hero by giving your time through volunteering or fundraising.
Some resources to download
We’ve made some resources that might help you think about your 5 ways to wellbeing, with cards and posters. They are free to download. If you reuse them please credit Health in Mind.